"Art is why I get up in the morning but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define."
-Ani DiFranco

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Back in Halifax

I have survived my first week back on the east coast. I never really had the chance to be jet lagged because I had early morning classes the first three days I was back. I am missing home, though.
My classes are Drawing 2, Film, Intro to Visual Culture, and Video.
My teacher for drawing is nice. He is laid back and has a good sense of humor and his voice sounds just like Christopher Lee's.
My Film teacher is quite the character. His name is Sobaz and he is very vibrant and likes to talk a lot. He seems very passionate and is a writer and documentary filmmaker. The course seems to be mostly focused on film theory and criticism with some script writing thrown in but our teacher said we will be making a short film even though that's not in the course description. He wants us to have fun.
Intro to Visual Culture is going to be a lot of work. For those of you who were wondering exactly what it is, here is the definition they gave us: This course focuses on how visual images and objects function within various cultural contexts. The production and reception of visual material are examined within historical and social contexts.
So there you go, crystal clear now. The class is held in the Bell Auditorium and consists of lectures, tutorials, and guest speakers. We have to do various research projects and a presentation.
Video is my favourite class right now (we'll see how film goes). It is where we learn all the technical stuff about cameras, lighting, sound, editing, bluescreen and greenscreen, colour correction, and probably more things that I'm forgetting. Our teacher also seems to be throwing in information about the psychology of video as well. About how viewers react to it such as willing suspension of disbelief and assuming that since one shot follows the other it is caused by the other. I hope she talks more about these things because I find them fascinating and useful to know.
Last semester I had most of my classes at the Port Campus which is my least favourite but this semester I have only one class there, two at the Granville Campus which is my favourite, and one at the Academy Building which is the purely film campus.
This semester is shaping up to be just as much work as the last one but this time the classes are ones I am very interested in. Hopefully that will make it better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment