"Art is why I get up in the morning but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define."
-Ani DiFranco

Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Day of Classes!

My first class was photography at 8:30 this morning. This is the kind of camera that we will be using. We will only be doing film and only black and white. Our teacher will give us different assignments every week but we always have to shoot a roll of film a week as homework. They supply the cameras but you can only take them out for 24 hours at a time. Lucky for me, Jenn has this exact camera but with a wide angle lens so I won't have to sign them out. Just today because we did it as part of the class. My teacher is very nice and she was saying that she likes to cram all the information into the first few classes so we have the most time we can doing the practical part (being in the darkroom). She did a whole lecture today on the basics of the camera. It's really good because she is teaching as if none of us has ever seen a camera before.

My next class was Intro to Studio Practice. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much but it has potential. We did a few projects and the teacher(perhaps I should be calling them professors) gave us homework. The biggest homework is just gathering all the things we need to bring to next class.
She did a slideshow and before she started, she asked if anyone knew the artist... I was assuming I wouldn't because I don't really know very many but then she said... Andy Goldsworthy. And I was shocked to see that nobody else knew who he was. I had seen all the images that she showed us but I am hoping we will be using him as the inspiration for a project.
She let us out 2 hours early today (normally a 4 hour class) so I went and bought film and then made the long trek home (it's not so long but when I'm tired I swear it doubles).

I don't have any more classes until monday. So I have lots of time to get my homework done.

Today I made the discovery that every single one of my teachers this semester is female. I was surprised by that but it will probably change next semester.

Here are a couple more shots of Halifax.


The Port Campus, where the majority of my classes are, is right beside that big cruise ship. And that is the boardwalk that runs all along the waterfront.

0 comments:

Post a Comment