"Art is why I get up in the morning but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define."
-Ani DiFranco

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Venice

I am absolutely in love with Venice. I have a hard time believing that it is a real city despite having been there and seen it with my own eyes.
It is very small and incredibly easy to get lost in. It is a pedestrian city which was a new experience for me. If you don't want to walk somewhere you have to take a boat.
By this point we were in good shape from all the walking we were doing so I was surprised to find my legs hurting in Venice. Eventually we figured out that it was due to all the bridges that we had to go over. (that made me curious how many bridges there are: according to wikipedia there are about 400)

The streets were mostly narrow alleys but sometimes they got so narrow that you had to turn sideways to get through. And they often came to sudden dead ends when they reached a canal where there was no bridge. I was careful to pay attention as it wouldn't be too hard to walk right off into the water sometimes.
The water was this milky blue, slightly more beautiful than this picture shows but also it was obviously quite dirty.
I often caught myself glancing down side streets, that in any other european city would have been cobbled with little cars parked on either side, and realizing that instead it was water with boats moored alongside.


Yes, even the ambulances are boats.

0 comments:

Post a Comment