"Art is why I get up in the morning but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define."
-Ani DiFranco

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Artists Who Inspire Me - Nick Bantock

I have decided to start a series that features artists who I am inspired by or who have influenced my work. If you have any suggestions of a better title for the series, please leave them in the comments.

I figure I had better kick it off with Nick Bantock since I am doing a paper on him for school right now. I have been a fan of his for years now. He is the author of the well known Griffin and Sabine books.
His work is largely in the form of collages that incorporate many different media. He uses a lot of ephemera such as historical documents, stamps, old photographs, and maps. The most exciting thing about his books is that they are told entirely through letters and postcards which are actually in the book. You see the front of the envelope on one page, then you turn and there is the back of the envelope that you can open and take the letter out to read.
He is originally from England but moved to BC in 1988. He now lives on Saltspring Isl. where he has a gallery called The Forgetting Room to display his work and hold art workshops.
If you have not already read his, books I highly recommend them.




http://www.nickbantock.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment