"Art is why I get up in the morning but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define."
-Ani DiFranco

Saturday, April 17, 2010

creativeLIVE

I recently discovered this online creative classroom. I wanted to wait to post about it until I had actually experienced one of the classes.
The way it works is that different artists will teach a course or workshop and you are able to watch the classes live, for free. If you miss the class, you can download it after but in that case you have to pay for it.
The class that I took had around 1500 students. There are frequent Q&A sessions throughout the class where the teacher answers questions from the live audience, the class chat, and Twitter.
There are not a lot of courses at the moment but this is something that is just getting going and I am sure the selection will expand.
If you enroll in a class you are sent a reminder email an hour before the class begins. I have enrolled in Fundamentals of Digital Photography, The Creative Eye with Art Wolfe, and Watercolour 101. I am particularly looking forward to the weekend workshop on DSLR Cinema which was how I found out about it in the first place.
I think this is an amazing opportunity and it is wonderful that they can provide these classes for free.

3 comments:

TedinZim said... [Reply to comment]

interesting idea... so which class did you take already? what did you think?

Kyrié said... [Reply to comment]

@Ted I took Digital Photography and it was really good. The class was all about the camera and it broke it down very clearly.

andrea said... [Reply to comment]

so there are actually real live students in the room as well as the cyberstudents taking the class? when you say 1500 in the class, is that the total count? interesting concept !

Post a Comment