"Art is why I get up in the morning but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define."
-Ani DiFranco

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Children's Books

I love children's books with beautiful illustrations. I don't think I could ever grow out of them. There are many that I have seen recently and loved but I wanted to make a list of the ones from my childhood that have stuck with me.

Catkin
My all time favourite. I was heartbroken when I lost my copy and I finally decided to buy a new one this year.

More on PJ Lynch to come in one of my "Artists Who Inspire Me" posts.

The Balloon Tree
I don't even remember the story of this one but it has a special place in my heart because I had a dress that was just like the princess's dress so I called it my balloon tree princess dress.


The Twelve Dancing Princesses
How could you not love these illustrations? So magical.




Miss Rumphius
I had no memory of this book being called this as it was always "The Lupin Lady" to me.

Annie and the Wild Animals
There are so many amazing Jan Brett books but this one somehow made an impact on my young mind.

Millicent and the Wind
I don't know that this is my favourite Munsch book but it is the one I remember most from my childhood.

The Mousehole Cat
This is by the same author as Catkin, Antonia Barber, but a different illustrator.
I am probably forgetting some but these are the ones that spring to mind. I have come across many more treasures in more recent days as a big sister and a nanny. Perhaps I will share some of those later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

So nice to see some of these books I so loved sharing with you when you were little!

Sherry said... [Reply to comment]

Okay need to find child to read with!

Post a Comment